Friday, June 18, 2010

Our Little "Ray" of Sunshine

It all started at dinner time. Bodey would go cross-eyed every time his fork came to his mouth. This happened at dinner time for about a week and a half. Every night. We kind of ignored it, thinking it was just something new he had learned. But then the next 3 days he was randomly going cross-eyed, sometimes more often than not. That Monday his teacher noticed and was concerned. So, we took Bodey to Sabates Eye Centers where we learned that he is extremely farsighted. His prescription is +4.5 in the right eye and +6 in the left eye. What does that mean? Well, all that coloring and reading he has absolutely NO interest in could be because he can't see! So, yesterday around 4pm (yes, the exact time matters as you will see later), Bodey got his very own "real" glasses. He refers to them as his sunglasses.

Most people, when I told them Bodey was getting glasses, referred to the movie "Jerry Macquire". I did too. I couldn't help but think of the cute little round-headed boy with glasses. Ray. And that was going to be my cute little boy. Yes, at first I was completely crushed when I learned he was getting glasses. You just want your babies to be perfect, and this wasn't perfect. Then, I smacked myself across the face and came to terms with the fact that so many people are going through so many worse things with their children, and glasses are very common. This was going to be ok.

So, here is our little Ray, from Jerry Macquire, attempting his best at the popular line, "Did you know the human head weighs eight pounds?"




So my friend, Cori, had this great idea to throw Bodey a "You are so cool now that you have glasses" party. She bought some little sunglasses picks to put on his cake. Here he his before his "birthday" party, with his cake.

After the two pieces of "glasses" cake and a rootbeer float.

Several of our great friends attended the celebration, including Audrey, Avery, Aidan, Ava, Cooper and Peyton. After cake we decided to let the kids play in the sprinklers. All the kids were so excited they rushed out the door and immediately started playing in the sprinkler. Not 2 minutes later Cori told me to come outside. Bodey biffed it outside - with his brand new glasses on - and broke them. Yep, we lasted 28 hours before breaking his specs. They gave him a nice little cut next to his eye. Daddy got some tools out and bent them somewhat back into shape. Enough to get us until the end of June when he spare pair comes in. P.S. I know that most moms would take the glasses off before playing in the sprinklers, but I truly didn't even have time!


It is kind of hard to see the boo-boo in this picture. Poor little man!

Overall, we had a great party for my all-grown-up little man. Oh yeah, and two hours into school this morning I got a phone call that Bodey had already lost a nose piece. We were joking before his glasses came in how many pairs we would go through. I don't think it's a joke. We are going to go through SEVERAL. It's reality. But we love reality.

4 comments:

Nickie said...

Holy Cow he is cute. I love the glasses!!! What a great idea for the party too (that Cori, she's somethin' else!).

Cori said...

Thanks for the very unnecessary shout out---but you know I love me some Bodey. :)
And the Jerry Maguire thing made me choke on my popsicle. I keep watching it over and over....

Erin said...

I love the glasses. I think he looks adorable.

Joleene said...

When we got Jake's glasses, they offered me "insurance" it basically means that he can replace his up to 3 times in a year if he breaks them...I think it cost me $50, but I just Knew this would be Jake...so far so good. So sorry for Bodey that he broke his glasses right off...poor guy!