Monday, April 16, 2012

Rock the Parkway 2012

Every race is completely different.  Different from any other race you've ran, and usually different than you have planned out in your head.  Rock the Parkway was going to be the race that we ran a sub 2-hr half marathon.  Our previous best time was 2:08.  We trained pretty hard for this race, but didn't do as much speed work as we should have.  Still, we felt pretty good with where we were, and we were ready.  But, you never know what will come your way on race day.  At mile 2, Stephanie tweaked her knee, so Jen and I continued without her.  About mile 4 I was pretty sure I wouldn't be able to continue on.  The humidity was 90% and my body couldn't take any more.  And we were tucked away in the trees where there is absolutely NO breeze.  Jen was hurting too.  And all these hills kept popping in front of us that we swear weren't there last year!  They were really taking a toll on us.  I was gu-ing like crazy because my whole body was numb and tingly.  So I just kept thinking my body was lacking something, and all I had to give it was gu.  I think it helped because my energy level did increase.  Jen is our strong runner of the group.  The girl can go forever.  And she never shows signs of fatigue.  She talks us through our tough points.  I should have known something was wrong when we hadn't held a single conversation other than how badly we were hurting.  And at mile 8, Jen was about to puke.  Her body told her should couldn't continue at this pace.  This has happened before, but not to Jen.  It's usually Cori or me that needs to slow the group down, maybe walk a little, get a pep talk.  We usually just all stop and hang with the gal who is hurting at the moment.  And this is what I had planned to do.  But Jen could tell I was feeling ok, and she said she would feel horrible if I stayed back with her.  And after quite a bit of coaxing, she finally convinced me to go.  So I did.  This was a turning point in my running career for me.  Personally.  I don't run by myself.  Eva.  And there is good reason for that.  I give up.  I am Mrs. Negative.  But I knew that if I were to leave Jen, I better work my ass off to get the best possible time I could get.  I promised myself not to leave anything on the back burner.  And I just focused on the road ahead of me.  For 5 miles.  It was one of the hardest things I've ever done.  I wanted to quit so badly.  At mile 12.5 (of 13.1) I didn't think I had enough juice left to make it to the finish line.  But, somehow I made it.  My time was not sub-2.  It was 2 hours and FORTY SIX seconds.  Yes, I missed our goal time by 47 seconds.  But I was very ok with that, because I gave everything I had at every point in that race.  It was a very hard race, both physically and emotionally, but I did my best and am extremely proud!  And I learned a lesson.  Even if I'm feeling "ok", I would way rather finish with my girls, than to go ahead and finish by myself.  It's just not the same, and it's not me.  It's not why I run.  I run for them, and with them.  So no more of that.  :)  We will reach our goal of sub 2... together!!!!


4 comments:

Partridge Family said...

I'm so jealous you have such awesome running partners. Running with women is the best thing ever! I am a big time social runner and can run forever with someone. As soon as I am on my own I can't stop my mind from saying, 'this sucks.' Too bad you are so far away, you would probably be my most favorite running partner EVER!

Diana @ frontyardfoodie said...

Whoa! Congrats!!! That's an awesome time.

Work your running magic sister.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.