Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Respect

All wrestling season, Booker and Dusty had an ongoing reward (bribe, prize, whatever you wanna call it), that if Booker got a gold medal, Dusty would buy him a Swiss Army knife.  Bodey's reward for gold would have been a rocket.  Booker got gold, so he got to go pick out a knife.  He was so super excited.  We had all the talks about being careful, being responsible, asking permission to use it, having supervision, etc.  After owning it for not quite 24 hours, he sliced his finger.  He grabbed it, looked at me, and ran off to hide in his room.  I asked him if he got cut and he uncovered it to find blood gushing out everywhere.  Then he started crying and saying over and over again, "I'm not responsible.  I need to be 10.  I'm not responsible!!!"  Bodey took one look and went even more ballistic and went screaming to get daddy.  When Dusty came in I could just hear the butt chewing Booker was about to get, so I cut him off before it could start.  But, surprisingly, he wasn't planning on taking Booker down.  He came in and said we aren't taking it away from you, you aren't grounded from it, you're not in trouble, blah blah blah.  Then we made Booker use it again.  Trying the old theory of getting right back in the saddle.  We weren't sure if it needed stitches or not, but decided no.  I'm not really sure still, but it seems to be healing ok.  Here it is after 2 days:

2 comments:

Partridge Family said...

I think Booker taught himself a great lesson. I kind of like it when my kids do that. There is no reason to lecture when they know they have messed up. You can bet he will be more careful with the knife now that he knows what it can do. Better learn it now than when you are Clay Rideouts age! Remember that deal with the Cody kid during wrestling?

B-Mom said...

Oh wow, yes. I remember that! The whole "gang" scare started in Wyoming! Hehehehehe!!!