Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Slipping Away....

Our summer vacation is slowly slipping away.  They start school in 5 short weeks already!  THEY start school.  As in, my 71 month old baby starts Kindergarten!!!  Neither of my kids have ever been really clingy or attached to me.  Until, of course, it's time to let go of my baby and let him go to school.  Now, within the last month or so, Bodey has become extremely attached to his mama.  He just loves me and wants me all the time.  We had troubles dropping him off at his church class a few weeks ago.  I fear this is only a preview for dropping him off at the big K.  More times than I can count in a day, Bodey will come up to me and say, "I just love my mama" and close his eyes and pucker up for a big kiss.  Every night he just wants to snuggle with me on the couch.  This is all new to me, and I'm totally soaking it in, but our upcoming separation worries me.  Only time will tell.

Swim team will officially be over Thursday.  Today was prelims to qualify for Championships.  I have been extremely worried for Booker.  Not that he's not good, but he's a first year 7-year old swimming with a lot of 2nd or 3rd year 8-year olds.  And a lot of them!  I thought his chances of qualifying were pretty slim.  And I didn't want to tell him that his little brother qualified for Championships and he didn't.  Today started out with freestyle.  Bodey took 3rd and qualified.  They take the top 12.  Booker swam his tail off and I thought there could be a slight chance he could come in 12th, but he didn't.  That crushed him.  I thought it had ruined his whole day and he was too bummed to try hard in his other events.  But he came around and ended up qualifying in back (11th place) and the 100 IM (5th place).  I couldn't be more happy for him!  And Bodey took 3rd in back and qualified for that as well.  I'm so super proud of how far they've come this year.  I wish they understood how awesome it is to even qualify for Championships, because placing there is going to be tough!  I just keep trying to drill it in their heads that it doesn't matter what place they take, as long as they try their hardest and have fun.  That doesn't go over well for a competitive 1st born, prize-driven, people pleaser though.  :(


For the last 5 weeks of summer, you can find us cooling off at the pool and probably an occasional movie.  Oh, and we get to go to Phoenix at the beginning of August!!!  Then, back in the grind.

1 comment:

Cori said...

The only thing good about summer ending is you moving closer! :)