Sunday, September 19, 2010

I've Been Dunked!

Some of you may know, some of you may not know, that I was baptized on September 5th at Westside's service at Shawnee Mission Park. There are many reasons that there are a list of you in the "some may not know" category. I have never been very forward and open with my faith. I have kept pretty quiet about it because I feel like it is a very personal thing. I also hate being judged because I always think waaaaay too much about what other people think of me. However, I had to put all of that aside and realize that it's not between me and all these other people/excuses in my life. It's between me and God, and together we came up with my next step in my faith of being baptized. Yes, yes, I was baptized as a toddler. But, I have since learned, realized and come to believe that baptism was more of a dedication; my parents' pledge to raise me with God. I thank them very much for that and think they did an amazing job following through with their word. But now it's about me and my decisions. And as an adult I have made the decision to be baptized. I'm now old enough to know and appreciate all that it encompasses. It doesn't trump my earlier baptism, it is just the icing on the cake. That day meant the world to me. There was so much thought, dedication and reflection going on within me. It was a pretty amazing day that will forever mark me.

Pastor Dan Chaverin getting me all pumped up!




I wish this man knew how much he has impacted my life. I was so nervous to go to church - any church. I just felt stupid, like I hadn't been in so long, didn't know anything about the Bible, I wasn't a "good" person, etc. Cori extended an invitation for me to try out Westside, which had been on my radar since it was so young and relaxed. I am forever thankful that I did. And I am forever thankful that this man, Pastor Dan Southerland, was the teaching pastor at my first attendance at Westside. His voice, his character, his "human-ness" all made me want to come back. I felt so welcome and so good. I just wanted to come back and hear more and learn more. So, I have, and I just feel like I owe it to this man.
And I can't leave out the atmosphere of Westside. They flat out get with it and ROCK. I've never felt comfortable singing at a church, but can't help it here. Sorry everyone that sits next to me! :)
I was hoping that during my baptism, the band would play "The Baptism Song." Band members at Westside wrote it and it is such a beautiful and powerful song. I couldn't stop smiling when I saw it on the service program for that day! They played it through the ENTIRE hour and half that they baptized people. Amazing.

3 comments:

Diana @ frontyardfoodie said...

Way to go! It takes a lot of courage to be open about your faith. It was hard for me to decide to get baptized too and once I did it was the most exhilarating feeling knowing that my faith was public and everyone knew where I stood with God.

So glad you found a great church!!

Jennifer said...

So proud of you traci! Blessed to have you in my life

Kristen said...

That's awesome Traci! I am a believer in being "dunked"! :)