Thursday, September 16, 2010

Nasty Things

I hate ticks. Always have, always will. However, I've had to deal with them a bit more lately since they tend to love Booker's blood. In 4 1/2 years, Booker has had roughly 15 ticks. That's a lot... they love him. Last Wednesday night I pulled EIGHT ticks out of the poor kid. I'm still baffled on where he got them and how I hadn't seen them before. They were full of blood. I checked to make sure I got each of their tiny heads out, and did. Then two days ago (about 6 days after I pulled them) he started to get a circular rash around two of the bites. Dr. Google suggested Lyme Disease. Luckily, we have the all wonderful Dr. Yu for a pediatrician, and his wife happens to be one of the directors of Infectious Disease at Children's Mercy. He said it's not Lyme Disease, Kansas ticks don't carry it. I would have called boo-shay on him simply because I just find that really hard to believe, but who would know better? He said there are several Lyme-like diseases in KS and other diseases from ticks, but he really doubted that Booker had any of them because of the fact that he was still "Booker." No fever, no pain, no signs of illness at all, and apparently he would have been noticeably ill if he had something. So, the diagnosis? He believes that Booker had a reaction to the saliva the wonderful ticks leave in our bodies. YUCK! Either way, we left with an antibiotic, which is mommy's piece of mind, so hopefully all is good.

3 comments:

Joanne said...

Sorry but I can't agree with your doctors they are just telling you the IDSA line the photo looks very like a bulls eye rashes to me and even if you have antibiotics if the dose is too low or not long enough about 50 % of people do not eradicate the infection.

For a tick to be infected it depends where it had it's last feed or if it's mum had Lyme would you inject a hyperdermic needle into your child if you had previously stuck it into a rat. A tick is not called Natures Dirty Needle for nothing.

Do your research and read what Burrascano has to say in his guidelines found at www.ilads.org

There is so much controversy surrounding this disease and it is not such a simple inocuous disease as main stream ID doctors would have you believe following IDSA guidelines.

Best wishes

Diana @ frontyardfoodie said...

Oh my goodness! So glad he's okay but that's crazy that it looked like lime disease but wasn't! That would have freaked me out.

Partridge Family said...

EHHHH!! that almost makes me want to vomit just thinking of a tick digging into skin. Is it gross pulling them out? Poor lil' guy.