Saturday, September 10, 2011

C'est La Vie

We are so very blessed to happen to live just a hair over a mile from a working vineyard. And, this is not just any winery, folks, it happens to have mighty delicious wine! Every year about the end of August, Holy-Field Winery holds it's "picking Sunday's." This is where they invite anyone out to pick the grapes off the vines. Last year was our first year out, and I hope to make it an annual event. It is just an awesome experience to get to walk through the rows and rows of grapes. It blows my mind how many different kinds of grapes there are, and how many different kinds of wine they can make from these grapes. Both years, I have been on the white grape picking days. Last year was Seyval and this year was Melody. After a lesson on how to cut the grapes off the vines avoid putting MOG in the buckets, we were off! What is MOG? Material Other than Grape. Like finger tips and leaves. I love chit chatting with all the other "pickers". Last year I was a bit more of a Chatty Cathy, but there was a motivation, you see. You are supposed to meet as many people as possible so that hopefully you've made enough of an impact on someone that they will remember you and call your name next for the lunch line. This is serious business. Will meet people for FOOD! So last year I think I handed my name out to almost everyone there. However, there is a shortcut to the front of the lunch line. You must find the Grape Fairy out in the vines somewhere. And... Christel found the Grape Fairy within about 15 minutes of us picking!!! So, not that I was being unsocial or anything, but since my motivation for being Chatty ceased to exist, I focused more on picking grapes. Oh, and figuring out how to get our wine open without being seen. We snuck 2 bottles of wine in. I don't know if we really snuck them in, or if they were allowed, but we were the only ones out there drinking wine. Overall, I just love this event and hope to make it each and every year from here on out!


Here is Christel with the Grape Fairy!!!



Kim, hard at work!


Jen couldn't stop eating the grapes!


Cori with the beautiful purple grapes.


Our group - I don't remember the lady on the far left's name, but we adopted her because she was there all by herself. Then there's Kim, Jen, Cori, myself, Sharon & Christel. We were referred to the prettiest group out there!

No comments: