Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Class Clown

Deep down inside, I know where this is coming from.

Booker's teacher had to call me a couple of weeks ago because he and a group of other children are unstoppable. No, they aren't a gang, bullying kids, teasing, or promoting any type of violence. They simply just think they are hilarious. And they won't stop messing around. They get in trouble in the lunchroom, in class, at recess, in PE... basically all the time. The day his teacher had to call me, I was crushed. But we did some minor grounding and thought he learned his lesson. Until today.

Booker's first words when he got in the car were, "I had to flip my card to red," followed by tears. Why? Because he wasn't listening and he was being FUNNY. Ugh. We grounded him from playing outside until after dinner, and then since he was honest with us, we said he could play outside after dinner. BUT THEN... it went downhill. Fast. He was upset with me, and he slammed his door. Then I heard the worst, most piercing words I have ever heard. A chant. "God sucks, God sucks, God sucks." My heart just sank. This is the same boy that a few days ago was worried about sticking up for himself because he didn't think God would approve. I could not believe the words coming out of his mouth. I stormed in there questioning him on what he just said. He was bawling and saying if he told me he knew I would ground him, and he knew I would be disappointed. Um yeah. I was. And yeah. You're grounded. I explained to him that was probably one of the very worst things a person could say, and that it hurt my feelings and God's feelings. And in our house we don't say things like that, we honor God. And I will never hear him say that again.

Sheesh. Anyways, back to the class clown. I've heard that Dusty was a bit of a class clown, but I'm going to let him take ownership of the more severe behavioral traits that were passed on to our lovely children. This one is probably all mine. My report cards were always straight A's... with a side of disruptive behavior. AKA, class clown. A giggler. Social butterfly. So, moral of the story, there are so many worse things that Booker could be doing at school to get into trouble, that in the grand scheme of things I'm relieved. However, for us, right now, this is serious business and we need to get it under control so we don't get anymore emails from the teacher like this one...

Booker has been making poor choices since he has been back from spring break. He again is wanting people to laugh at him after being asked to settle down. Today, he went by the dumpster outside the playground at recess with another student, and he knew he wasn't supposed to go there.
Hopefully, tomorrow will be better.
BES Kindergarten

2 comments:

gma said...

OH NO-not by the dumpster-how bad can a kid get. Gees....Is that trivial or what??

Partridge Family said...

I couldn't stop laughing when I read this. I know it's serious business and incredibly frustrating, but it brought back memories. I think we were in 4th grade when we got sent out in the hall for something. We thought it was hilarious that we go into trouble! We were quite the team. Good luck! I'm dreading sending mine to school!