Saturday, July 11, 2009

Night #7

I have no clue what to do with Bodey. The fireworks of the 4th of July have completely ruined him. He is now absolutely terrified of his bed. Sunday night he was so worked up he was shaking violently (literally convulsing) and shivering so bad he couldn't talk. So he ended up sleeping in our bed. Monday night he slept in our room in the pack n play. Tuesday he slept on his bedroom floor with Dusty. Wednesday night he slept in his crib with me on the floor. Thursday night Dusty slept on his floor. Friday night he fell asleep with me on the floor and then I tried to sleep in my bed. That only lasted until 2am, then I had to sleep on his floor. I am at a loss. I take pride in how well my children sleep. I feel like I have trained them (with the help of the Ferber method) how to love to go to sleep. And, until Sunday night, Bodey would run to his crib, we would lay him down and he was out. Cori suggested maybe setting the pack n play up in Booker's room. I think that would work, but I have to admit that even though this is extremely hard, I don't want to start any habits. I want him to get back to being comfortable in his own bed, by himself. Tonight we decided we may need to go back to Mr. Ferber and the cry it out method. Except, I fear Bodey will cry for hours before he gives in. We decided to turn some music on for him. Then we had Booker go in and tell him it was ok. I was out in the hall where Bodey couldn't see me. I have never been so proud of Booker. It made me tear up listening to him console his little brother. He walked in and said, "It's ok Bodey. You need to lay down. Just lay down and listen to your song. It's ok." Bodey stopped crying while Booker was in there. Booker asked him why he was scared. Bodey said, "I want momma." And what did Booker say? "Bodey, momma can't come in here. I'm sorry. I'm really, really sorry. I love you." And then he came back out. Of course Bodey immediately started screaming the second Booker left him, but I was just so proud of how much of a big brother was tonight. As I write this, Bodey is still crying. It has been 23 minutes, and I have a feeling it will be a lot longer. Wish us luck!

6 comments:

Cori said...

That almost makes me cry! What a big boy Booker is! If I stick my head out the front door, and hear Bodey crying, I'm coming to rescue him! He can sleep with Cooper in our Pack'n'Play. We've surrendered...LOL

Kristen said...

That almost made me cry too! Booker is the sweetest big brother. I hope it didn't take too long for Bodey to fall asleep... poor little guy. Brady went through a phase similar to this a couple of months ago. Just when you think you've got it figured out, they throw you for a loop!

B-Mom said...

Kristen, what did you do? We tried having him cry it out and he cried for 2 hours. It kills me to hear him cry. Tonight I just gave in and laid on his floor until he fell asleep. Dr. Yu is going to get a visit from me tomorrow... we can't do this much longer. :(

Kristen said...

I don't think our situation was quite as bad as yours, but I'll email you about what we did.

Partridge Family said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Bodey, that has got to be tough on you guys. Lack of sleep is not good, and crying kids is even harder. Booker is an awesome big brother....I think Bodey needs to become a big brother :)

Joleene said...

poor guy, at least he has such a great big brother to help him out.