Sunday, August 22, 2010

Thank You Dave, Dusty & Myself

August marks 1 year since we did our first budget following Dave Ramsey. At first, a budget was so new to us. We didn't think we would be able to follow one, especially the one we had drawn up. However, it is so much more peaceful using a budget. I no longer have to worry about the timing of our bills. There is always money there. I no longer have to worry about dipping into our overdraft protection or our savings. I actually feel like we have more money. Like we both got a raise. But we didn't. We just spend so much more wisely and our finances are in control. I love that feeling. And the best part? We have paid off quite a bit of debt in a year.

Our HELOC balance of $6400 is paid off.
Our Nebraska Furniture Mart balance of $1600 is paid off.
My car balance has gone from $29K to $13K.
And our house (although nothing extra has been put towards it) has dropped $7K.
Overall, Dusty and I have $31,000 LESS in DEBT than we did one year ago.

All we have left is my car (and the house, but it doesn't count right now in the plan). I cannot tell you how ready I am to have it paid off. The goal payoff date was March 2011, however, our Feezell intense plan was tweeked a wee bit this summer. But, we did enjoy our summer and wanted to make sure the boys enjoyed it too. We also refinanced our house this month down to 15 years. Our payment only went up $140 a month, and we will save around $60K in interest by cutting off 10 years of our loan. The last piece of Dave's plan that we need to master is the giving. It is actually one of the most important things Dave pushes. Now that we have a handle on the budget, I'm ready to see what else comes our way with a little giving.

4 comments:

Nickie said...

A freaking mazing! Way to go!

Diana @ frontyardfoodie said...

Oh my gosh I totally remember when you said that you guys were starting that. WAY TO GO! Talk about a great feeling.

Partridge Family said...

I am SOOOOO proud of you guys!!! It is such a great feeling to be in control of finances! You rock Traci!

Kristen said...

Way to go! I'm so impressed that you've stayed with it!