Tuesday, August 14, 2012

The End of Summer

This was my first full summer off with my kids; something I've always looked forward to.  I had a lot of big, fun things on our agenda... but really didn't accomplish much.  We played in true summer fashion.  We have the other 9 months of the year to have our agenda packed, so we just did whatever came up.  We played with friends, went to the movies, went to Montana, had swimming lessons, attended a wrestling camp, rode 4-wheelers, tended to our garden, played t-ball, and went to the pool.  We swam about 3 days a week.  This proved to not only be fun and a good time killer, but very educational.  I cannot believe how far my boys came in 8 weeks of free time in the pool.  The first day at the pool I was very much on guard, debating whether or not they should have their floaties on.  I strictly laid the law on where they could and couldn't go.  By the end of the summer they were doing just about anything and everything they wanted.  They learned how to do front and back flips in the water, mastered floating, worked on swimming on their fronts and backs, dove for all sorts of toys at the bottom of the pool, went on the slide, and jumped off the diving boards.  Bodey really excelled in his swimming skills.  He is more of a natural swimmer than Booker.  Booker is very tight and tense in the water, causing him to sink easily.  Bodey is so much more relaxed and easier to teach.  It really hit home how far they have come on Sunday, when we went to a birthday party at the Y.  They changed their rules that if you haven't passed the swim test, you have to wear a life jacket.  The test?  Swimming 25 meters without touching the ground, rope or wall.  Booker jumped in and swam the ugliest 25 meters I have ever seen.  He took a breath about every foot, he looked like he was struggling the entire way, and I think the lifeguard thought he was going to have to go in after him several times.  But he made it and was so proud of himself!  Bodey jumped in and started swimming a very strong freestyle.  He made it to about 10 feet from the end, and said he was scared and grabbed the wall... so he had to wear a life jacket.  But not for long.  He couldn't do flips with his life jacket on, so we asked if he could test again, and he passed with flying colors.  I was so proud of them both.  Next summer, we are going to do swim team with Jen's girls.  I see my anxiety about my kids being in water slowly disappearing.  And that is such a good feeling!

Booker starts 1st grade tomorrow.  I can't believe he's that old already.  The entire summer I was dreading school starting.  Until last week.  Now it is time.  These boys need time away from each other - and their mother!  And I need some time without kids in my house so I can attempt to clean it without them dirtying it right behind me.

Bodey will start his second (and last) year of preschool on Monday.  He technically could have gone to kindergarten this year, but the thought of having my babies graduate high school back to back kills me!  And,  truthfully, he's just not ready.  He needs another year to mature.  Hopefully one year will do the trick!  His 5th birthday is quickly approaching.  FIVE?  My baby is almost FIVE?  That's not a baby, and that makes me sad.  We plan on celebrating his birthday at Screamin' Oaks Farm with some of his closest friends and family.  Should be a good time!


The boys riding their 4-wheelers at Nana & Papa's.

The Wild Things

He has an eye for bugs!

Whittling wood with their pocket knives.

4th of July at the T-Bones!

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

So excited for the boys to swim!