Monday, October 1, 2012

Dog vs. Bodey

Yesterday was a rough day for all of us.  Dusty was outside at the neighbor's house helping him on his boat.  The boys headed out there with him.  A few minutes later, Booker sprinted inside, clearly flustered, but I couldn't really understand what he was saying.  I heard "Bodey", "crying", "dog", "dad".  I ran outside just when Dusty was rushing Bodey inside.  All I saw was blood coming from Bodey's head.  I don't do well in these situations and started to freak.  Dusty gave me the stink eye so I had to check myself.  After about a 30 second examination, we decided he needed to go to the emergency room.  As we were heading out, our neighbor ran up to the car to give us his phone number and told us his dog was up to date on all his shots.  When we got to the hospital, the lady at the front desk asked if I already filed a police report.  AreyoukiddingmeIjustrushedmykidtothehospital!  That was all I was thinking about.  I wasn't making phone calls!  So I stepped outside to call the police department.  The dispatcher told me they already sent an officer out there, the dog owners had reported the accident.  Not two minutes later, our neighbor's wife came in with her dog's shot records.  She said they just couldn't stand the thought Bodey might have to get shots he didn't need.  A few minutes later, a Basehor police officer came to the hospital to get Dusty's statement, check out the injuries and take pictures of all of them.  The doctor looked at everything, said they don't stitch dog bites (traps germs and infection inside), ordered x-rays for Bodey's left shoulder and right elbow, got him some Ibuprofen, and gave us an Rx for an antibiotic.  Bodey finally started to relax and finally moved his arms and was showing us his muscles, so we cancelled the x-rays.  What helps a little boy more than a slushie?  So we headed to Quik Trip where the boys got 32 oz slushies including every flavor known to man mixed together, a hot dog, and some Rolos.  When we got home, we washed all the blood off Bodey.  The hospital didn't clean ANY of it off of him.  Oh well.  And then Bodey went out in the cul-de-sac to ride his bike.

Bodey's red hair he is now proud of.

Bite #1
Bites #2 & #3
Bite #4
Bite #5 and possibly #6
Guessing just a scratch from nails?
Raw elbow from his fall to the concrete.  This hurts him the worst.
You might be wondering about the dog.  Well, he is a 148 pound Bloodhound.  It is very unusual for this breed to be aggressive.  Dusty and the owner were within 10 feet of the attack.  The boys had been petting this dog the night before and the owner said he was watching them pet him just before he attacked and everything was just fine.  We don't really know if Bodey did something to trigger the dog.  Booker said the dog laid down and Bodey went over to pet it some more.  Dusty had to pull Bodey away from the dog, and it kept trying to attack.  The City of Basehor did not take the dog, initially because the kennels were full, but then later found that they didn't have to because the dog was up to date on it's rabies shot and not showing signs of being rabid.  The family has made the decision to give the dog back to the Humane Society where they got him, and he will be evaluated and either released to live out on a farm, or put down.

I just have to say how even though this was a very unfortunate accident, it has opened my eyes to how blessed we truly are.  God had his hand in all of this.  I'm so thankful that there were adults around to pull the dog off.  It could have been deadly if not.  I'm thankful that I didn't have to witness this, because these are the things I replay in my head for years.  I'm also thankful that I wasn't the adult there because I don't know if I would have been strong enough to pull off the dog.  I'm thankful that the dog hadn't gotten the 3 week old baby that lives in that house.  But mostly, I'm thankful for how helpful, and honestly concerned our neighbors have been.  In 8 years of living here, we've never really spoken to them.  And they have turned out to be truly great people.  Take note of all the bold sentences above.  Who does that?!?!  And to top it all off, they sent Bodey a bouquet of cookies today!  My heart goes out to them, because I think they are suffering more than we are.  We were scared and shocked, but we know Bodey is ok.  They feel so guilty.  And they have to deal with getting rid of a family pet.  UGH!


Bodey is just livin' life like nothing ever happened.  He doesn't seem to be scared of other dogs.  And, he bravely walked down to their house today to tell them thank you for the cookies.  The dog was still in their backyard, but he did so well!

He breaks my heart though.  Tonight he said two things that just made me melt.

"Mom, since those nice people got us cookies, can we make them some tomorrow and take them to their house?"
AND
In the smallest, quietest, voice, "Mom, I really liked that dog."

2 comments:

Partridge Family said...

Oh my goodness. I would have been freaking out. I am so, so, so, glad that Bodey is ok. What a tough lil' guy. And, what a blessing to have good neighbors. I know some people can be real jerks about things like that.

Diana @ frontyardfoodie said...

Holy crap that's a bad attack! Soooo scary. I'd freak out too. I know the feeling of taking my kid to the ER and it is NOT fun.

Glad things are all good now.