Wednesday, March 26, 2014

8 is the New Old

I am really having a hard time letting my kids grow up!  I just kills me that time goes so fast.  Eight.  Eight years have already gone by since Dusty and I welcomed Booker into this world, yet it feels like he's always been a part of our lives.  I have very vivid memories of being an eight-year-old.  It seems like from the time I was eight until the time I was eighteen was sooooooo long.  Days lasted forever.  I really hope Booker feels this way too.  I hope we are providing him a fun, non-stressful, care-free childhood.  I seriously worry about that.  I compare his childhood to my own and feel like I'm failing.  But, I need to realize that times have changed, and while his childhood might not be like mine, it is like most of the kid's he's growing up with.  Even though at eight he's not riding his bike all over town unattended, walking to the gas station to buy candy, staying home alone or walking to the woods with a hammer, nails and a bb gun, he's going to be ok.  Maybe I was the one that we should be worried about!  :)

Wow, I kinda got off on a tangent there!  Although it's happened in the blink of an eye, we are so blessed to have a happy, healthy, growing, crazy, fun, kind, loving EIGHT-YEAR-OLD!
He helped me make a K-State birthday cake.

Birthday cake pancakes with icing instead of syrup!

2 comments:

Partridge Family said...

I've been thinking a ton about our kids growing up recently and have been wondering why it seems to go by so fast. It was SLOW when we were growing up, I thought I would never be old enough to drive, date, or graduate. I guess it is true that the older you get the faster time goes. At 18, we only had 18 years experience. Can you believe that we have almost doubled that time since we graduated high school? We've been out 14 years!! Yikes. This block of time has gone by much faster than the first. I hate to think about how fast the next 18 years will go.

Today though…I'm wishing away the baby stage! UGH. My back is killing me from holding a baby all day long. My house is a mess, kids are grumpy, and somehow I'm suppose to have everything ready to go on a trip tomorrow. YEAH RIGHT!

Cori said...

Beautiful cake, friend! :)