Saturday, March 1, 2008

Children's Mercy, Night 3

Dusty is letting me use his work laptop, so now I feel like I have contact with the "real" world. So, I figured I would give an update on Bodey. Bodey was admitted to Children's Mercy Thursday night because he was struggling to breathe. I know this sounds bad, but at first I was hesitant to even take him to the doctor. I thought I might just be the mom that is freaking out, since we had just been to the doctor the night before. But, luckily I called my nurse neighbor, Cori, and asked for her advice. She told me that respiratory problems in babies can go downhill fast, so if it were her she would take him. Thank God I did. It was determined that Bodey has Brochiolitis, which is triggering asthma. He has been on breathing treatments regularly since Thursday night, along with a steroid to keep his airways open. He was also given an IV to keep him hydrated since he hadn't been eating. The nurse giving him his IV made me laugh. She said that Bodey has a lot of "fluff" so it might be hard to find a vein! Anyways, the doctor just came in and said that he won't be going home until (1) he is breathing without being hooked up to oxygen, (2) he is drinking enough that he can be taken off the IV, and (3) they can clear the mucus out of his lungs. It is so horrible watching them try to suction the mucus... they stick a tube through is nose, down his throat and into his lungs. Poor baby. Right now it seems we aren't going anywhere since he hasn't passed any of those yet. I am just so proud of Bodey for being such a trooper. He has been through so much in the last few days and he still tries to give out smiles. Trust me, he uses them sparingly though. He starts crying when he sees the yellow nurse (they put on yellow gowns when they come in). If they don't have that on, they're good. That's all for now, I'm going to TRY to get some sleep.

3 comments:

Partridge Family said...

Poor little guy. Does this mean he will get asthma?? Are you holding up okay?

B-Mom said...

Sara, I am doing ok. I am physically and emotionally drained. The chance of Bodey having asthma are pretty good, but that's ok, we can deal with that! I'm just ready for us to be home and somewhat back to normal.

Cori said...

I was wondering where you got a computer. :) We're praying for all of you right now. Take care. Oh, and there's nothing wrong with being fluffy! I loved that.