Sunday, August 2, 2009

A Day Late, But Not a Dollar Short

I feel like Booker, Bodey and I have gained a lot today. I finally made the giant leap I have been meaning to take for a very long time. We went to church. I have always wanted church to be a part of my kids lives, but honestly, I've been quite intimidated to go. Why? I don't think that church should be a place you should feel intimidated. It should be the one place where you can be the most comfortable. So after several years of this being one of my top priorities of things to do, I got the subtle push I needed. My neighbor Cori mentioned that she was going to be going to West Side Family Church tonight and that I was welcome to join her. And it was time for me to shove aside all my excuses and just go for it. I was truly excited, but also very nervous. I just couldn't wait for the kids to go. I want it to be something that they enjoy, feel is part of their lives, and want to go back.

When we got there we got the kids signed in and off to their classrooms. Both of them just pranced right in their rooms like they've been there a million times before, never turning back and wondering why they were there or if mommy was following. That was a huge relief. So off Cori and I went, and I immediately felt comfortable. This church describes itself as "high energy contemporary." It doesn't matter what you wear, or even if you are a few minutes late for that matter. No one stares at you and no one keeps tabs. That's what I'm looking for and feel like I have found. I liked that the message was at my level. There was no reading Bible verses that I couldn't understand. I actually GOT what the minister was saying and took home some valuable thoughts and lessons. And, as for the kids, they loved it! Booker wants to go back tomorrow.

I have to admit that I realized something tonight. Like I said, I've always wanted God to be in my children's lives. What didn't dawn on me until tonight is that the way that is going to happen is through me. They aren't going to know anything about church or God if they've never been introduced. And whose responsibility is it to lead them? Mine. I feel guilty that I waited this long, but we have hopefully started a new tradition. Oh, and for the record, Dusty said he would go with us once a month!

On the Road
Here's a picture of all 5 of the kiddos in the back of the van. Notice how clean it is? That's because it's not my van, it's Cori's.

3 comments:

Cori said...

I'm so glad we all went together! Made it very fun for me, too. Anytime we're both going "without a date", we should ride together. :)

Partridge Family said...

Traci, I'm so proud of you! I think it is SO important for our kids to grow up with a belief in God.

JENNIFER said...

You are the best mom ever, you have such a sweet heart and I can tell that you love your children so very much. It's sweet that you realize that God loves them too and they need to know Him. That will mean so so much to them!