Friday, December 28, 2012

Trip From Hell. Honestly.

We made a super last minute decision to jump in the car and drive to Wyoming for Christmas.  My grandparents have been having several health issues, and we had a window of opportunity to see them, so we jumped on it.

Let's back up a little.  On December 9th, Booker started having diarrhea.  It lasted until the 15th, when he then started vomiting.  But just for one day.  On the 17th, he was completely back to normal and we decided to leave town the 19th.  Bodey woke up with an upset tummy.  Stupid us.  We honestly thought it was because he was sad that Elvis went back to the North Pole.  One hour into our drive started "Wet Farts 2012."  He sharted/pooped his pants 3 times before we could even get back on the road.  In pull-ups.  On we go.  Until we were 4 hours out of town and he started vomiting.  In the car.  We pulled over and cleaned it all up.  Dusty wanted to turn around.  I couldn't see turning around and driving 4 hours back - in the direction of the storm we had just avoided - when the damage was already done.  If we were going to get sick, we were going to get sick.  The germs were spread.  So, against his will, Dusty kept driving.  We stopped at a gas station every hour for Bodey to have more, and more, and more diarrhea.  Then he puked again.  And 9 hours later we were in Rapid City, SD.  The next day (Thursday) he felt fine.

Thursday evening, around 6, Dusty tells me to run and grab the puke bowl.  I was too late.  He was already in the bathroom... vomiting and diarrhea.  Friday early morning, about 3am, I am awakened by the sound of my stomach.  And I have my dose of the same.  I couldn't function all day Friday.  Saturday I felt fine, but wanted to give it a full day before I went to visit my grandparents.  Saturday night.... Booker wakes me up vomiting with diarrhea.  I couldn't even believe that he had been healthy for 8 days and then he started it AGAIN!  So I cried.  That's what overwhelmed, stressed out mommies do.

But I decided not to touch Booker with a 10-ft stick because, dammit, I was going to see my grandparents!  So Dusty had Booker duty.  And Sunday I finally got to go over and visit my grandparents.  I love and miss them so much.  I spent a little over 3 hours just sitting and talking with them.  My grandma just isn't the same, but it was still such a blessing to get to see her.  While I was there she told lots of made up stories and even tried to cut her own hair!  But she's still my sweet little grandma with the same ol' laugh I'll always remember.  Even though the trip SUCKED, it was totally worth it to see them.

Monday, Christmas Eve, everyone seemed to feel ok, so we decided to go swimming in Thermop.  It was nice just to get out of the house and do something together.  But, even Christmas Eve sucked.  It is also my dad's birthday, and he ended up having to put his 13-year old dog down.  :(

Then, Christmas morning, we were supposed to open presents from Santa and then hit the road.  However, my mom was up vomiting all night and round two had taken it's toll on Dusty.  But we had to get going anyways, because I had to be back on the 27th for work.  Oh, and it snowed, which is usually one of my favorite things in the world.... except we had to drive over the mountain.  Long story short, Dusty had to puke and poop MULTIPLE times while I white knuckled the steering wheel for 9 hours.  But we made it to Chamberlain, which made our day 2 drive an easy 8 hour day.  

Dusty just started feeling up to par, but I highly doubt there is any way Bodey and I have completely escaped round 2.  Oh well, at least we are home now.  

On a good note, my parents were excellent hosts.  My mom was there to baby me when I was sick, and they cooked us awesome home-cooked meals every night.  My dad even cooked an outstanding prime rib for us on his birthday!

This is where Harley rode the entire trip.  She's the best traveler dog ever.

Bodey and his puke bowl.  :(

The beautiful Big Horn mountains.

I thought these roads on the way there were iffy, but they were worse on the way home.

We stopped at Deer Haven Lodge on the way over the mountain for lunch.  It was so cozy.

Deer Haven

Deer Haven

Beautiful Ten Sleep canyon.

Making Santa cookies, which we later threw away due to germ infestation.

Tuckered out.

My sick Booker snuggling with KoKo... my parents new puppy we all fell in love with.

KoKo just let Bodey drag her around.

My wonderful grandparents.

My grandparents house.  So many great memories here.

Swimming in Thermop on Christmas Eve in 20 degree weather.




Wind River canyon.

Wind River canyon.



Santa found us in Wyoming!

3 comments:

Cori said...

Terrible story, but beautiful, memorable pictures! Seriously, worst vacation ever! :(. Glad you got home safely.

Mom said...

What a good writer you are! The trip you had vies for the vacation "from hell" we had to Canada when your dad was so sick!! but we do remember it, don't we??

Jennifer said...

I would never make it! You are stronger than I friend!