Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Random Thoughts

Random Thought #1: I don't know why this popped into my head, but I was thinking about the Town of Basehor. It is a town, without a downtown. Weird. I mentioned this to Cori tonight and she filled me in on a little history that I didn't really think about. Basehor wasn't really ever a town. It was really a farming area outside of Kansas City that just started to grow as KC did. I got to thinking more about this and realized the truth in it. Most towns are founded because of a nearby river or railroad. Basehor has neither. So I did a little research (out of the very little to be found online) and here's what I found. "The year 1889 marks the real beginning of the town of Basehor. The City has become known for its lovely residential neighborhoods, beautiful park and excellent schools." That's it. But I think that is why I love it so much. So even though there isn't a downtown area with shops of any kind and not even a grocery store, we call it home.

Random Thought #2: This has been my kind of summer. Really we have only had about one week of really hot weather and the rest of the summer has been in the 80s. It has also rained quite a bit this year, which is great for "non-watering" home owners. I have only watered my lawn once, and my landscaping twice... and it doesn't look too shabby! Now, this could be due to the fact that my mother-in-law has "hired" our neighbor boy to mow the lawn. I know, we are truly spoiled! With all that said, Dusty and I are still struggling to adjust to Kansas City's summers. Wyoming gets downright hot in the summer. July and August are usually around 100 degrees. But there is such a difference in 100 degrees in WY and 100 degrees in KC. HUMIDITY makes all the difference. It is flat out miserable at 100 degrees in the Midwest.

Random Thought #3: I have never dreaded my birthday before and I've never been concerned about age. It is truly just a number and it's all how you take it. But, for some reason, 27 is killing me. Why? I have no idea. I guess just because life is flying by and my kids are growing up so fast. 40 will be here in no time and then the kids are all grown up.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gee, a history buff in our midst!! (#1). I love Wyoming and my heart is always going to be there. (#2) Age is so weird. I haven't really minded any age except when I find I am unable to do something I used to do with ease. Like Jack Nicholson said in the Bucket List-time goes by like smoke through a keyhole. (#3)
Ma ha

Joleene said...

I know how you feel about age. We are just at the point in our life that you want to put the breaks on, slow down and enjoy this time. Don't worry though, at least we don't just wake up and look a year older : )

JENNIFER said...

TRACI you are not old for goodness sakes! and you look freakin' awesome! I thought about you on your birthday it's so funny that I still remember friend's birth dates so well from high school. I hope you had a good one, your boys are so adorable! You need to talk Dusty into a girl next time though I'm sure she would look just like you!