Monday, September 8, 2008

The True Definition of "Frugal"...

my dear friend Sara. Sara, I know you are going to read this, so I wanted to start out by saying that the reason I am posting this is out of true admiration. You amaze me in many ways, this just being one of them. I look up to you and admire your faith and devotion to being the best you can be for you, your husband, and your children.

This past weekend we were honored to have the company of my childhood friend, Sara, and her little boy, Ethan. The more I talked to Sara the greater my respect grew for her. She is a stay-at-home mom who doesn't take her job lightly. Her job is to provide the best that she can for her family in order to live a healthly life. In order to do that, she has to cut costs wherever possible. And here is her story:

Sara uses cloth diapers. She has invested $200 in cloth diapers that will last her for 3-5 kids (which she plans on having 5). That's it. One size fits all! I did a few calculations and found that I will spend around $7000 in diapers for my 2 kids. YIKES!
Sara also doesn't buy baby wipes. She uses baby washclothes in a tupperware with a sanitizing gel. She says it's actually easier to use them since she uses cloth diapers because she just throws them all together in a bag for the wash.
Sara makes her own bread and her own "hamburger." She buys raw wheat in 25 pound bags for $4. With that she makes her own bread and her own gluten. She seasons the gluten and uses it as hamburger. Soon to come - homemade wheat crackers. Not only is it a lot cheaper, but also very healthy.
Sara and her husband don't have cell phones and they only pay $20/year for their home phone. They use Magic Jack for phone service. Dusty and I are looking in to this and are most likely going to switch. Free long distance and caller ID for only $20/year. Seriously, why not?
Sara rides her bike every where because she refuses to pay for gas. Ethan rides along in his bike trailer, along with anything they pick up while they are out.
Sara cooks breakfast, lunch and dinner.... every day! They very rarely eat out.
And, Sara doesn't have a TV. Not only does she not have cable, they don't even own a television. They do, however, have a projector to watch movies.

Can you say WOW? I am truly impressed!

2 comments:

Cori said...

You know, we could all probably make our dollar go a lot further,and live better on one income if we followed such examples. I think you're doing awesome Sarah!

Partridge Family said...

I think you praised me a bit too much there honey. Don't you remember that I had to get out of town and come see you so I didn't give myself a nervous breakdown!!