Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Way Past a 2-yr Old's Bedtime

Just when I thought my night couldn't get any worse... it got a little better. My evening started out like this. I picked the boys up from daycare and needed to run to Target for Pull-Ups and then to Payless and Penney's to look for some shoes. How nice is it that all three stores are hooked together? Should be in and out, no problem. However, as soon as we got to our first store, Target, Booker immediately threw a fit because we didn't get the "big" cart. There weren't any inside and I wasn't about to go outside and grab one that had been sitting in the rain. So he screamed, and screamed, and screamed. Finally, I set him in "time out" in the shoe isle and he somewhat straightened up. We bought a soft pretzel for the boys on the way out and were on our way to store #2, Payless. Luckily (or unluckily) they didn't have anything I liked so we were in and out - to Penney's. While in Penney's the boys were ok, but a little whiney. A soft pretzel can only last so long. We didn't find anything there so we left and ran through Arby's. The boys seemed like they were in a good enough mood to test my luck. I really need shoes for them because crocs don't cut it in the rain. So, store #4, Payless in Lansing. We got there, found some shoes, no fits. UNTIL, the nice man at the register gave Booker a Spiderman sticker. You would think that would be great, right? Not in Booker's world. "I don't want a sticker!" So I took it and tried to leave. "No, I want the sticker!" So I tried to give it back to him and head out the door. "No, I don't want the sticker!" Full out fit now. So I took it again and headed to the car. While strapping him in he asked for the stupid sticker again. At this point, I was willing to give in if it meant he would shut up. He threw the sticker and I drove off. The entire 3 hour drive back to Basehor (ok, so maybe it was only 15 minutes) he yelled at the top of his lungs, "Mama" breath "Mama" breath "Mama" breath. You get the picture. There was nothing I could do to tune him out. NOTHING! So, straight to bed for Booker. Ha. Ha. He proceeded to get out of bed about 6 different times. The last time he got a spanking. But that couldn't possibly do the trick. He had to test me one more time. Out again. Once he saw me he ran to his bed crying. I lectured him that if he got out again he would get another spanking and it would really hurt this time. He just stared at me. I asked him if he understood. He just stared at me. I said, ok, well, good night. As I was leaving the room I heard in the quietest little voice, "Mama? Will you go night-night with me?" Fine. I layed down with him and he said, "Sorry, Mama" and rubbed my arm. I told him it was time for mama to go to bed in her own bed and he said ok. It was absolutely precious. But you know what really makes me mad? I can hear little footsteps OUT OF BED as I write this...

4 comments:

Cori said...

Oh I love that little boy. :) When he gets on your nerves, just send him up the street where evil resides in the little pink room at the end of the hall. We have seen it all, and he can't shock us.

B-Mom said...

You're going to be sorry you said that, Cori!

Partridge Family said...

I love the way you write. It makes me laugh, yet at the same time feel so sorry that you are dealing with a 2 year old and tantrums. You must be doing something right to have him apologize at the end of the day!

Anonymous said...

Well, I remember going thru the very same thing with a little angel named Traci. I had to finally sit outside on the porch so people wouldn't think I was beating her. She would actually open her bedroom window and scream out of it. Ahh, such sweet revenge!!
your very own mom