Monday, November 17, 2008

Lesson Learned

I think Booker is really struggling that daddy is gone this week. Monday's are always the hardest because Booker has so much fun with his dad on the weekends. Anyways, like he always does, Booker got in the car after daycare and asked, "Where's daddy?" I told him that daddy's at work. "NO! Daddy home!" I told him I was sorry, but daddy isn't at home, he is at work making money so we can do things that we like to do. "I don't like daddy." Ouch. That hurt my ears to hear. I told him that is something we never say about mommy or daddy. This pitiful little voice said, "Daddy wuv me?" Yes, of course he loves you. He loves you very much. You are his best friend. "I wike daddy. And fire. And moon. And the sun. And the car. And barn." I'm sure glad he changed his mind. This is supposed to be Dusty's last week out of town. I'm not getting my hopes up. He was also supposed to be done at the end of October. Supposedly, he's only going to have to be gone a few more nights in the upcoming weeks, but no more Sunday-Friday gigs. I can't wait to have him back home so we can try to be a normal family again. He has been working nights and/or out of town for the last 14 months; the last 10 of them have been straight. It's been really hard, but I am so thankful that he has a job right now, and he has remained busy.

3 comments:

Partridge Family said...

I am so happy to hear that Dusty is almost finished with working so much out of town. I didn't realize it had been for the last 14 months! That is a LONG time. I think you deserve a Mommy break for awhile to go and pamper yourself for taking care of your 2 little ones by yourself for so long.

Melissa said...

Awww....I bet that broke Dusty's heart when you told him that. But it's a good thing kids don't hold grudges. He seems to have moved on from the subject, and moved on to barns and fire.

Anonymous said...

barns and fire? Hope that isn't indicative of a future occupation!!