Friday, December 12, 2008

One Shot

It kind of bothers me that I only have one shot at this time period of my life. Yet, it is a time I have dreamed about since I was a little girl. It is the time of my life that is flying by way too fast. It is my time to be a mom. Internally, I am constantly worried about working my kids’ childhood away. Sometimes I think I am selfish for working and not being at home with them. After all, it’s really only about 17 more years until they are on their own. Then there are days (sadly enough) that I feel successful at my job and like I’m just beginning to learn so much and that I have so much more to learn. And, there’s always the issue of money. Dusty and I could probably be ok on just his salary. That is IF I stayed at home (literally) all day long with the kids. I could never do that! If I were a stay-at-home mom, I would be out spending money all day. Money that I’m not bringing in. Then I would feel guilty, like I’m not contributing to support my poor spending habits. Then I’m sure I would be sitting at home writing a blog about the fact that maybe I should be at work instead of at home with the kids. Just can’t win, I guess.

5 comments:

Kristen said...

I totally know what you mean! It's so hard to go to work every day knowing that it's another day away from Brady, but at the same time I would go crazy if I was home all the time, and I'd spend way too much money too! :) I wish I could just find a better balance.

By the way, your new profile pic of the boys is adorable... I love their little sweaters!

Anonymous said...

1st off let me say your boys are adorable. 2nd-thanks for the fries at Kellies. You saved us a melt down for about 5 minutes. 3rd you seem like a great mom and your kids will truely appreciate your hard work and everything you give them.

Anonymous said...

I also think you are a great mom. You are fortunate that you have a job that allows you time away for sick kids and such. And I doubt you would be out spending more money than you make if you stayed home. You would be way too organized to do that! And time goes by the same speed at home or at work, so don't sweat the small stuff!! Didn't someone say that?
ma-ha

JENNIFER said...

Traci, I don't know what you are feeling cause I don't have kids and HAVE to be at work all day bummer but really you only have until they are 6 or 7 and then they will be at school all day and you would be sitting at home all by yourself! Jamaica was at that point until she had Mya in April and now she is juggling two older ones, Mya, working from home...etc. :) LOVE YA and Merry Christmas!

Cori said...

You put into words so eloquently how I feel every day. Like this is the life, and the time, that I always dreamed about, having little ones and babies, and it's going way too fast. I don't think it matters if you work or stay home, it feels the same. I'm home a lot, but then I feel guilty for interneting or cleaning or laundry instead of constantly playing with them. It's just really a no win. Traci, you're a great mom, and a happy well-balanced person. That's all you need to be.