Thursday, January 15, 2009

No-monia

Bodey is very tired of having pneumonia. I had to take him to the doctor again yesterday after he got booted from daycare with a fever. His pneumonia had gotten a little worse and to top it all off, he has an ear infection. They did 3 back to back breathing treatments of albuterol and Atrovent to try to maintain a good oxygen level. Even after those he was still only at 92-94%, but they were comfortable sending him home... thank goodness! I guess by having 3 treatments of Atrovent at the doctor's office, the risk of hospitalization is reduced by 60%. He is now on a z-pack, amoxacillin, Orapred, albuterol, Pulmicort and Singulair. Which reminds me that I found out what "gold" is.... Pulmicort! A box of 5 little vials the size of a quarter is $192!!! We opted for the free samples! Anyways, Bodey seems to be doing a lot better today, thanks to the steroid. The poor little man knows that his breathing treatments will make him feel better so he'll bring me the mask. How sad is that? But, he's also become such a great helper by holding the mask all by himself.

2 comments:

Cori said...

Poor baby---but how grown up he is, holding his own mask. Hope he's doing better.

BLogger said...

There is a generic for pulmicort now. I am not sure if it works just as well but, it exists. Poor little guy. I never enjoy breathing treatment time at our house either. I put the mask on my face one time to see what it was like-I could barely stand the smell, the mask making me claustrophobic and the taste in my mouth. I can't believe they rarely fight me about it. I hope he gets better soon.